Thursday, December 30, 2010

Bosque del Apache on the first day of winter

Since it was the first day of winter I figured the herp season is probably over now, then I checked the weather for the bosque and it was getting up to 66. So, I figured I'd head down and do some birding and possibly turn up some herps. It was a good thing I decided to bird otherwise I would've gotten practically nothing. I arrived and found these ladies crossing the road:

Mule Deer

I went to an overlook and saw this in a tree nearby:

Bald Eagle


I moved on to a marshy area and spotted this from the bridge:

Western Painted Turtle

I searched the area hoping to at least turn up a uta, but nothing but birds:

Northern Pintail

Sandhill Cranes


Canadian Geese

Snow Geese








Sandhill Crane

Northern Pintail

On my way out I saw the deer again and observed some interesting behavior:













Well, that's all I got pictures of. Other species seen but not photographed include:
Black Pheobe
Mallard
Cedar Waxwing
Marsh Hawk
Mourning Dove
White-winged Dove
Raven
Bullfrog
American Coot

Among others. Thanks for looking!

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment